Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Shell Drawing with Ink #1



This is my first shell drawing using ink. I used two colors of ink, black and brown, as well as reddish-brown and white conte. I experimented layering the ink, starting lightly and adding in to create contrast. I had a lot of fun with the ink around the shell, and playing with dripping the ink. Really wetting the paper well before starting helped make the ink apply smoother. There is a very impressionistic quality to the ink, since it is similar to water color, it has less control than acrylic paint. I added more contours of the shell after I had added the ink to make them stand out more. This was a fun experiment to create the shell in a new way with ink.

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly, I think I like this ink shell drawing better than your second one. i'm not sure why, but it seems to have more depth and form. Just a personal opinion. Nice work on your blogs!

    ReplyDelete